3.14.2014

SoCal adventuring: part one

Biola, Naples & Downtown LA


Besides forgetting what warm air and sand in our toes feels like, we decided to take a short vacation to Southern California this past week because g applied to the Talbot school of Theology (part of Biola University) to start his Masters program next year. So we wanted to check it out and see if this could be our next, new home. Well, even though I was not very excited about waking up early to visit the school the day we arrived in Cali, we both really loved it. The campus is beautiful! Not too large and filled with many outdoor cosy places to study, eat, read, sleep - we saw it all! Plus, the outdoor fireplace sold me. And all the green & trees & flowers everywhere! No tall buildings here, but as I felt that day and by the end of our time on the West Coast I thought, I could really live here and absolutely love it!

What a feeling. Just a few months ago I would literally cry at the thought of leaving Chicago; this city has really become our home. Our relationship as a newly weds evolved here, we've walked for countless miles exploring these city streets & discovering so many good places to see. Living downtown - minutes away from the lake, Michigan Ave, The Loop, countless amazing restaurants and Millennium Park - it's been a dream come true for us. And one we would have never envisioned for ourselves, but have loved more than we'd ever know. Sorry, this is getting a bit sentimental so let's go with the plan before the tears return. lol Here are our favorite memories from the beginning of our trip. More specially, days one & two! Enjoy!

I loved this modern chapel
food truck on campus! yes!
lunch outdoors
Naples
Myra (left) & her friend whose name I can't remember lol
the last time Michelle & I came to visit my aunt (I think 5 or 6 years ago) we made our way through these waters in canoes. Do you remember Michi?
One of Tia Rozangela's favorites
Day two of our trip, Tia Ro & Joe were going to be busy that day so g & I decided to go on our own little adventure Downtown (^^^ is our timercam attempt! lol) 
In Downtown, our first visit was to Santee Alley. It reminded us so much of streets like this is Brasil
we had lunch at the Grand Central Market where you can have Mexican, Chinese, Italian - you name it! All authentic & delish! Of course, we had Mexican!
there was an artist who had a huge space filled with his paintings. They were beautiful! My favorite was all white. I think I was so taken back by it I forgot to take it's picture lol
at the Museum of Modern Art
Walt Disney Concert Hall
the Cathedral of our Lady of the Angels
Olvera St. was our next destination. As you'll see, it's the cutest street that feels like it came right out of Mexico
cutest train station ever.
after Joe picked us up from our stop, he went to a favorite pie shop near home to get a pie "just for us!" lol according to Tia, someone ate most of it a couple days later and I know it wasn't g!

Gosh how much I miss sunny & warm California!

No comments:

Post a Comment