2.28.2015

eliminating "new"


This month has been been full of learning how to adjust to our current living situation as we are still with friends and just starting to earn paychecks again. Although we did not expect to be living with Elimar and Julia through the month of February, we can't image how we'd make it living in an apartment that we didn't love and was over our budget, which is what we've been finding. But now that we are earning some money and almost getting into the place we were hoping for all along, I see a glimmer of light! Things are moving along and it's really all in perfect time.

However, towards the end of January I was getting overwhelmed with the expenses that were heading our way and the money I was spending on myself, so I made a decision: I would not be buying anything new for myself all February long. I know, I know - for some people this is not hard or a big deal at all. But for me, I knew it would be very challenging. Fashion is something I love. It inspires me while also being a creative outlet that is really fun! In Chicago I would go store browsing every week. Then, I had the luxury of living 20 walking minutes or less from all of my favorite places, including Anthropologie, Madewell and Urban. You know, the good stores that make you somehow rationalize that you NEED a $150 dress that could pass for $30 at Forever 21. These days the stores aren't as close, which helps, but saying no to shopping is a tough one - especially during the sales! Well... one month later I am so glad to say I did it! 28 days have passed without buying anything new. Here's what I learned:

-- There's more clothes in my wardrobe that I don't wear than I thought! Seriously, I tend to put on the same clothes every week and have lot's that go untouched, even after giving away over half of my clothes before the move. Those pretty loafers pictured for example, I've owned them for three months, but before this challenge they were never worn. Totally forgot about them.

--  Spending no money on clothes, shoes and accessories means having more money for all the other exciting things you need! Like all the furniture there is to buy for our soon-to-be place. Or maybe it's a camera, or plane tickets - it could be anything.

-- What I have is enough. Though it almost never feels like enough, I have enough.

May we invest more in our people, and less in things.

No comments:

Post a Comment