11.17.2013

Girls on the Run

This past Saturday I had the chance to participate in my first 5k hosted by a non-profit called Girls on the Run
& what an experience it was!

Girls on the Run is a non-profit whose goal is to inspire girls to be confident, healthy, and joyful! They use a curriculum that teaches life skills plus physical, emotional, social, and mental development and health to girls in the Chicago area. A major part of the program is that they incorporate jogging into it to prepare the girls for the 5k that is the culmination of the program where anyone from all ages can participate to support the girls. I can't believe it took a class requirement to bring me to my first 5k, but I am so glad it did!

I had not planned to take a jogging class this semester until G told me he was and I really wanted to take one more class with him before he graduated because taking classes together are just too fun! (almost there babe!) However, this was an 8 week course that started the last week of October, and a couple weeks before then G realized he never registered for the class, so he couldn't take it. (insert grumpy face here.) He wasn't too bummed about it, I was a little (maybe more than a little) but was still excited because I knew I would be forced to exercise during the months I usually stop for hibernation due to the cold weather. When the temperature starts dropping into the 40's and below I do my best not to go outside because not having a car means walking everywhere with a nice Chicago breeze in your hair which really isn't all that nice because it's freezing! Really, I can make the BEST excuses for not walking across the street to go to the gym. It's embarrassing really, and our moms don't let us hear the end of it for that one, but we manage to fight the good fight together. :)

Anywho, here's to "exercising in the cold" to accomplish goals you've wished to accomplish for so long and to keeping our bodies healthy and strong while loving ourselves and each other


the sweetest man waited on Michigan Ave with me to catch the bus 
& his facial expressions were quite charming 
 the weather man said the day would be a partly cloudy day with a high of 58 degrees. 
well, what really happened is it was cloudy, misty, and windy with a high of 50 degrees when I ran. 
Although it was cold at first, the view was gorgeous. 
walking to the start! it was so cold!
Done!!! & I really couldn't have done it without my #1 supporter & friend & love, G! He was so excited for me. When I came near the end he recorded me passing the 3 mile mark and ran so fast to the finish to record me passing the finish line. <3

On the back of the cute metal each finished runner received it says: "I have the power to believe in myself. To stand up for who I am. To say 'yes' to a challenge. To cheer on new friends. TO GROW UP STRONG."

I was so scared to do a 5k because it just sounded hard to me. But now that I did it and realized it's really not scary if you train to reach your goals, I am going to start training for a 10k to push myself more and keep active through my "hibernation" months next year! My goal to run my first 10k next summer! Friends, in light of this month, let's take care of the bodies God has given us with thankfulness & joy in our hearts encouraging others to do the same as well! 

Love, t Olive 

No comments:

Post a Comment